The STEM Alliance – inGenious Education and industry, brings together Industries, Ministries of Education and education stakeholders to promote Science, Technology, Engineering and Math education and careers to young European's and address anticipated future skills gaps within the European Union.
The STEM Alliance builds on the success of the inGenious initiative (2011-2014) to increase the links between STEM education and careers, by involving schools throughout Europe.
With the support of major industries and private partners, the STEM Alliance for inGenious Education and Industry activities promote STEM jobs in all industrial sectors and contribute to build a STEM-skilled workforce. The STEM Alliance will join forces to improve and promote existing industry-education STEM initiatives (at national, European and global levels) and contribute to innovation in STEM teaching at all levels of education.
STEM Alliance in numbers
The continued substantial shortage of STEM skilled workers seriously jeopardises the success of the European economy. This affects all industrial sectors and slows down the pace of innovation, which in turn has adverse effects on employment and productivity in the related industries. Consequently, the shortage of STEM professionals at all levels weakens Europe's ability to compete globally.
Industry and the Ministries of Education have agreed to work together to improve the situation of STEM education in Europe. They will collaborate under a new initiative called the STEM Alliance, which will further build on the achievements obtained by the inGenious platform.
Within the STEM Alliance initiative, Industry and Ministries of Education join forces to:
- Support the competitiveness of companies by ensuring a STEM-skilled workforce;
- Promote the attractiveness and importance of STEM studies and STEM jobs in schools;
- Contribute to innovation in STEM teaching in schools;
- Improve and promote existing education STEM initiatives supported by industry;
- Enhance industry-education collaboration at national level across all Member States
The STEM Alliance is coordinated by European Schoolnet. The STEM Alliance is supported by a core group of founding partners and a larger group of general partners. The activities are accessible to as many partners as possible. Find more information about the benefits that STEM Alliance brings to industry here.
With the STEM Alliance, 16 frontline companies, including Airbus Foundation, Amgen, Cisco, Dassault Systèmes, Dell Technologies, GSMA, IBM, Johnson&Johnson, LEGO Education, Lenovo, Microsoft, Oracle, Shell, Sissa Medialab, Texas instruments and Transport Malta, come together to tackle this problem in a collaborative way on a European level.
Thanks to the coordination of European Schoolnet, a network of 32 Ministries of Education, the STEM Alliance builds on a large-scale outreach structure that creates synergies between European Ministries of Education, educators and industry.
As such, activities and campaigns of the STEM Alliance reach thousands of teachers and students each year and contribute to boosting awareness and visibility of STEM subjects. At the political level, the STEM Alliance High-Level Event brings together major European policy makers, education stakeholders and company representatives to promote the European STEM Education agenda.
STEM Alliance Mission
The STEM Alliance provides an extensive outreach structure for major companies and European Ministries of Education which understood the need for action. Through both concerted and individual activities, the STEM Alliance and its members joined forces to:
- Support the competitiveness of companies by ensuring a STEM-skilled workforce.
- Promote the attractiveness and importance of STEM jobs in all industrial sectors.
- Promote and harmonise industry-education initiatives.
- Contribute to innovation in STEM teaching at all levels of education.
- Enhance industry-education collaboration at national, European and global level.
- Encourage diversity and inclusiveness in STEM careers.
What the STEM Alliance does
Building on an ample European network of lead industries, key policy makers and education stakeholders, the STEM Alliance delivers the following actions to its members:
- Providing online events and trainings that give thousands of educators and students across Europe the opportunity to talk to company representatives.
- Supporting industry-education collaboration by giving guidance and a trusted infrastructure.
- Bringing together education and industry leaders at the annual STEM Alliance High-Level Event and creating opportunities for discussion and best practice exchange.
- Showcasing members' latest initiatives and resources related to STEM education and STEM careers.
- Building knowledge on STEM education and careers by providing advocacy to industry players and policymakers.
- Contextualising STEM teaching by giving real-life examples of STEM careers to students.
7 Reasons to join the STEM Alliance
- Be at the frontline of European and global companies that realised the need to tackle the STEM skills gap.
- Benefit from the wide-reaching STEM Alliance network that brings together key education, policy and industry actors.
- Boost your company's visibility effectively at European level in STEM related media outputs.
- Initiate concrete activities and campaigns targeted at teachers and students across Europe conducted with the STEM Alliance.
- Gain access (and contribute) to STEM Alliance knowledge, research papers and reports.
- Shape Europe's STEM discourse by discussing best practices in topic-specific workshops, webinars and high-level events.
- Enable your business to further develop partnerships with education stakeholders on local, national and European levels.